View the requirements for the BA degree in chemistry on the academic catalog website.
Student Learning Outcomes
A student who completes the chemistry major program at JHU should achieve mastery of a broad range of skills that will allow him/her to gain a deep understanding of the basic principles and models of modern chemistry through coursework, the use of library resources, laboratory experience, and independent research. In particular, students will:
- Understand and follow proper procedures and regulations for the safe handling and use of chemicals and chemical equipment
- Develop the ability to collaborate effectively as part of a team in a laboratory, research, or group problem-solving environment
- Become proficient in collecting and analyzing experimental data, including that obtained from modern spectroscopic techniques
- Become fluent in applying mathematics and computer methods to chemistry, particularly with respect to the construction of quantitative models
- Gain proficiency in oral and written communication skills, including the writing of scientific reports for coursework and research papers for publication following American Chemical Society guidelines
- Acquire an understanding of ethical and societal aspects of chemistry and responsible conduct in science.