Associate Professor of Chemistry
- B.A. (Chemistry & Physics) Albion College 1999
- Ph.D. (Chemistry) UC Berkeley 2004
- Post-doctoral UCLA 2005-2010
- Assistant Professor JHU 2010-present
Dr. Bragg’s research focuses on the characterization of light-driven chemical dynamics and material behaviors. A common thread throughout his research is the use of ultrafast spectroscopic techniques to observe processes that occur on timescales shorter than 10-13 s (timescales of atomic and molecular motions). These techniques are used to determine fundamental structure-dynamics relationships that underlie molecular and material responses to excitation with light.
Specific research topics of interest include:
1) Properties and dynamics of excited conjugated materials. Conjugated materials have received considerable attention for use in flexible optoelectronics (e.g. LEDs and solar cells). The goal of our work is to determine what structural attributes at the molecular level (e.g. conformations and intermolecular interactions) define or control the properties and dynamics of photoexcitations within these materials.
2) Light-driven or switchable bond formation and isomerization. These processes offer means for converting light energy to mechanical or chemical energy or to reversibly alter the photophysical properties of materials. In our work we directly interrogate the relaxation mechanisms associated with these processes in order to determine structure-dynamics relationships that could form principles for design or optimization of photoswitchable materials.
3) Photodynamics of plasmonic metal nanoparticles and assemblies. Plasmonic materials have promise for concentrating electric fields of light and for pan-chromatic absorption of light energy. The goal of our work is to determine how the architecture of these nanomaterials determines their photoresponses and potential for light collection or harvesting for optical and chemical processes.
In all work his group is further developing applications of photo-selective ultrafast time-resolved spectroscopies. Please read more about this research on the Bragg Lab group website!
030.305 Physical Chemistry Instrumentation Lab
030.693 Methods in time-resolved spectroscopy
Displaying the 20 most recent publications. View the Google Scholar Profile for complete publications list.
Note: Please refresh the page if no publications initially appear.
JA Snyder, P Grüninger, HF Bettinger, AE Bragg
BN Doping and the Photochemistry of Polyaromatic Hydrocarbons: Photocyclization of Hexaphenyl Benzene and Hexaphenyl Borazine
The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 121 (44), 8359-8367, 2017
X Zhao, D Madan, Y Cheng, J Zhou, H Li, SM Thon, AE Bragg, ...
High Conductivity and Electron‐Transfer Validation in an n‐Type Fluoride‐Anion‐Doped Polymer for Thermoelectrics in Air
Advanced Materials 29 (34), 2017
JA Snyder, P Grüninger, HF Bettinger, AE Bragg
Excited-State Deactivation Pathways and the Photocyclization of BN-Doped Polyaromatics
The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 121 (27), 5136-5146, 2017
J Zhou, CP Folster, SK Surampudi, D Jimenez, RS Klausen, AE Bragg
Asymmetric charge separation and recombination in symmetrically functionalized σ–π hybrid oligosilanes
Dalton Transactions, 2017
J Zhou, VK Outlaw, CA Townsend, AE Bragg
Quenching of pH‐Responsive Luminescence of a Benzoindolizine Sensor by an Ultrafast Hydrogen Shift
Chemistry-A European Journal 22 (43), 15212-15215, 2016
AE Bragg, W Yu, J Zhou, T Magnanelli
Ultrafast Raman Spectroscopy as a Probe of Local Structure and Dynamics in Photoexcited Conjugated Materials
The journal of physical chemistry letters 7 (19), 3990-4000, 2016
MS Molloy, JA Snyder, JR DeFrancisco, AE Bragg
Structural Control of Nonadiabatic Photochemical Bond Formation: Photocyclization in Structurally Modified orth o-Terphenyls
The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 120 (23), 3998-4007, 2016
W Yu, TJ Magnanelli, J Zhou, AE Bragg
Structural heterogeneity in the localized excited states of poly (3-hexylthiophene)
The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 120 (22), 5093-5102, 2016
CR Pitts, B Ling, JA Snyder, AE Bragg, T Lectka
Aminofluorination of Cyclopropanes: A Multifold Approach through a Common, Catalytically Generated Intermediate
J. Am. Chem. Soc 138 (20), 6598-6609, 2016
J Zhou, SK Surampudi, AE Bragg, RS Klausen
Photoinduced Charge Separation in Molecular Silicon
Chemistry-A European Journal 22 (18), 6204-6207, 2016
AM Sanders, TJ Magnanelli, AE Bragg, JD Tovar
Photoinduced electron transfer within supramolecular donor–acceptor peptide nanostructures under aqueous conditions
Journal of the American Chemical Society 138 (10), 3362-3370, 2016
VK Outlaw, J Zhou, AE Bragg, CA Townsend
Unusual blue-shifted acid-responsive photoluminescence behavior in 6-amino-8-cyanobenzo [1, 2-b] indolizines
RSC advances 6 (66), 61249-61253, 2016
Y Cheng, K Smith, E Arinze, G Nyirjesy, A Bragg, S Thon
Colloidal aluminum nanoparticles with tunable localized surface plasmon resonances for energy applications
APS Meeting Abstracts, 2016
J Zhou, W Yu, AE Bragg
Structural relaxation of photoexcited quaterthiophenes probed with vibrational specificity
The journal of physical chemistry letters 6 (17), 3496-3502, 2015
J Zhou, X Guo, HE Katz, AE Bragg
Molecular switching via multiplicity-exclusive E/Z photoisomerization pathways
Journal of the American Chemical Society 137 (33), 10841-10850, 2015
JA Snyder, AE Bragg
Structural Control of Nonadiabatic Bond Formation: The Photochemical Formation and Stability of Substituted 4a, 4b-Dihydrotriphenylenes
The Journal of Physical Chemistry A 119 (17), 3972-3985, 2015
X Guo, J Zhou, MA Siegler, AE Bragg, HE Katz
Visible‐Light‐Triggered Molecular Photoswitch Based on Reversible E/Z Isomerization of a 1, 2‐Dicyanoethene Derivative
Angewandte Chemie International Edition 54 (16), 4782-4786, 2015
PJ Donohoo-Vallett, AE Bragg
π-Delocalization and the Vibrational Spectroscopy of Conjugated Materials: Computational Insights on Raman Frequency Dispersion in Thiophene, Furan, and Pyrr...
The Journal of Physical Chemistry B 119 (8), 3583-3594, 2015
TJ Magnanelli, AE Bragg
Time-resolved raman spectroscopy of polaron pair formation in poly (3-hexylthiophene) aggregates
The journal of physical chemistry letters 6 (3), 438-445, 2015
Structure, dynamics, and delocalization in conjugated polymers revealed with Raman spectroscopy
ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY 248, 2014